Televisions are seen as a source of interest and fun for small children. Perhaps they might try to to 'touch' one of their favorite characters. They might try to climb up a tall dresser to get to the TV. In many cases, this is asking for disaster.
Here are some simple solutions that might help keep your children safe around TVs.
- If possible, mount the TV to a wall.
- Don't set the TV at the very front edge of the stand. Move it to the back of the stand if possible.
- Avoid placing large TVs in an area where children play unattended such as a bonus room.
- Don't put televisions on tall dressers or stands that weren't designed for a TV.
- Don't put toys or interesting objects on top of or near the TV.
- Talk to them about the dangers of touching the TV.
- Consider securing the TV to a piece of furniture or the wall. There are several products on the market that will allow you to easily do this. Some examples are shown below. Note: We don't specifically endorse any of these products. These are just samples of items on the market.